Wednesday, September 5, 2012


ACT I

Scene 1

Adalae and Evan enter the living room together from outside (stage right). They begin speaking as they take off their coats and scarves and hang them up on the coat rack next to the door. Adalae is wearing a belted dress, about knee length. Evan is wearing a sweater vest and bow tie, but does not look old or awkward in it, just handsome.

ADALAE:

If I could rip my heart out and put it in a blender I think I honestly would. (Nonchalantly)

EVAN:

(Shocked)

Why would you say that? That wouldn't make any sense.

ADALAE:

(Confused)

What? It only makes sense! It's what makes us so confusing and frustrated and basically our only real weakness as human beings. I mean animals don't have hearts, at least the symbolic ones and they are weak in the mind which is how we got to the top of the food chain. Imagine if we just didn't have those pesky emotions, we'd be invincible.

Evan shakes his head and kind of chuckles to himself at her. Adalae walks into the kitchen and begins to boil water for tea, Evan follows her.

EVAN:

You know if you didn't have a heart you wouldn't really be able to enjoy being around me.

Smiling, he is getting closer to her while she's busy rustling around in the cabinet for tea and mugs.

ADALAE:

Well I mean I could still have a nice intellectual conversation with you and I mean we'd still have physical urges and stuff. It would just not have all the down sides.

EVAN:

But I really don't think this-

He turns her around and surprises her with a passionate kiss. As he pulls back, they both smile at each other.

EVAN:

would have quite the same effect.

ADALAE:

Well...

She takes a while to finish her sentence, she is light headed and just stares at him for a second while she stutters out a response.

ADALAE:

th-that is... a very good point. Wow, I can't really breathe.

(She laughs)

I love you. You know that right?

EVAN:

Of course I do, and I love you, even though you have some unnatural vendetta against your heart.

She pours the water into the mugs and he carries them to the table for her. They sit there for a second sipping tea while they smile, both to themselves.

ADALAE:

You know what's great about you?

EVAN:

Well I can start listing-

ADALAE:

Oh hush! No, I just want you to know how much I enjoy that I can just sit her and drink tea with you without feeling like I need to entertain you or make unnatural small talk.

EVAN:

Well you know what I like about you?

She doesn't answer, just smiles and tilts her head, inviting him to tell her. He stands up and puts one hand holding his weight on the table and one hand running through her hair.

EVAN:

(grinning)

That I'd do anything for you to entertain me. Sometimes I just don't know how I resist the temptation to just-

ADALAE:

Evan, I- I- I just don't want it to be like that.

He sits back down.

Evan:

(still smiling, just a less deviously)

I know, I know don't worry I'm not trying to change your mind, I just hope you know how crazy you make me.

ADALAE:

Sorry.

EVAN:

Don't apologize, I promise, it's fine.

Pause, both sip tea.

EVAN:

If I promise to wait as long as you want to wait, and to never stop loving you and to make you feel like you can't breathe, in a good way,as often as possible do you think you could make a promise to me?

ADALAE:

You know I would love all of those things but you also know how I feel about promises! I told you I hate them and I will not make one.

EVAN:

Have I ever asked you to before?

ADALAE:

No.

EVAN:

Have I ever asked you to do anything you couldn't handle that ended up badly?

ADALAE:

Well, no but-

EVAN:

Then you trust my judgement. So if you would please listen I would like you to make me a promise and in return I am making a lot of promises that I will keep, and you know me well enough to know that I actually will keep them.

ADALAE:

Well, what is it?

EVAN:

In return for everything, I just said, will you, Adalae, please promise me that if you ever had the opportunity to rip your heart out, that you wouldn't mangle it in any way?

ADALAE:

(Smiles, relieved)

I guess I can, just for you.

EVAN:

Well say it!

ADALAE:

Say what?

EVAN:

Say that you promise that you will never put your heart in a blender and/or destroy it in any other way.

ADALAE:

Okay! I promise you that if by some miracle I manage to pull out my heart and still live, that I won't do anything bad to it. Is that good enough?

He gives her quiet applause.

EVAN:

That was perfect! What progress we're making!

He holds her hand on the table for a moment then gets up.

EVAN:

It's getting late and I still have to get back home, I'm gonna go but I'll see you soon, don't worry. Thank you for the promise, I'll hold you to it!

ADALAE:

I know you will, but you should be more worried about me holding you to yours!

She follows him to the door.

EVAN:

Oh, I'm not worried at all.

ADALAE:

I was just kidding, I won't hold you to all of that! I will still keep mine though don't worry.

EVAN:

No, I'm not worried because I know I will keep all of them. Now I love you and goodnight!

He kisses her on the forehead and leaves. She stands at the door for a moment thinking, she starts to look worried, walks over to the table, sits down staring off into space. Suddenly she gets up and picks up her phone and dials.

ADALAE:

Hello? Hey. What are you doing? Mhm. (she laughs) Yeah, okay I'll be waiting!

She looks worried again for a second then shakes her head as if shaking a thought out of it and then hurries around putting the mugs in the sink and wiping off the table. Then she runs off stage (stage left). The doorbell rings and she comes running back on stage in pajamas. She opens the door and a man comes in he is not similar to Evan at all. His jeans are ripped and he doesn't look friendly. He immediately grins and grabs her and begins to kiss her intensely. When they separate she doesn't look happy, actually looks almost annoyed.

ADALAE:

So do you want anything to drink?

Man 1:

(Looking annoyed)

Not really. I promised to meet someone after this actually.

(Checks his watch)

ADALAE:

(confused)

You promised?

(playfully)

Fine, be that way. I promise I'll make it worth your time then!

She gets close to him and pulls him by his shirt to her and starts kissing him. Then she pulls him to the couch and on top of her. The stage goes black.

No comments:

Post a Comment